The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) seeks an experienced individual to assure that the Bureau of Infectious Disease and Laboratory Sciences meets state and federal environmental health and safety (EH&S) regulatory requirements to maintain a safe and healthy work environment for all MDPH programs based on the Jamaica Plain Campus which includes 18 laboratory sections within the Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory (MA SPHL). This includes providing EH&S support during an active, multi-year building renovation. This position will supervise the Environmental Engineer of lower level(s) to ensure both scheduled and emergency requests are fulfilled for the performance of hazardous waste collection and equipment certification and repair, actively participate on committees, contribute to laboratory audits, and assist provide technical input on laboratory safety training (biological, chemical, and radiological).
This position is expected to report to the office five days per week.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to emergency response plans for spills, decontamination, and cleanup at the direction of and in support of the EH&S Officer.
- Provides oversight for chemical and biological waste pickup, escorts waste vendors, and oversees waste pickups and packs.
- Contributes information to writing of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and assures compliance with storage, labeling and handling of waste.
- Supports the EH&S Officer/ Chemical Hygiene Officer functions according to EH&S regulations to ensure compliance with these regulations including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Laboratory Standard for working with hazardous chemicals.
- Assists with maintenance of the industrial accident database; investigates accidents and unsafe conditions; track and trend data; recommends corrective actions.
- Supports response actions related to the integrated facility-wide emergency response contingency plan that includes: fire, spills, medical emergencies, facility emergencies, Automated External Defibrillator (AED) program, and facility-wide drills.
To apply for this job please visit massanf.taleo.net.