As a member of the Health Policy Department, you would support agencies within the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), such as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the National Institute of Health (NIH), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other Federal Civilian Agencies as needed.
An example of previous projects in this department includes the CMS Division of Value, Incentives, and Quality Reporting project where MITRE assists CMS in rule writing and regulatory research for eleven quality reporting and incentive programs in their Medicare FFS setting.
Responsibilities might include:
- Policy analysis in support of federal health program implementations like the Medicare Inpatient Quality Reporting Program.
- Reviewing statutes, regulations, and guidance documents to determine impacts to HHS programs.
- Respond to stakeholder feedback through regulatory writing, research and understanding regulatory burden.
- Developing technical products such as research papers, briefing papers, and recommendations for program implementation.
- Analyzing HHS policies, processes, and health care strategies to facilitate effective MITRE support to HHS.
- Evaluating and interpreting data to draw actionable insights to inform evidence-based health policy and communicating findings through written reports or presentations
- Currently pursuing a Masters, Legal, or Doctoral degree in health policy. Students must be continuing their education the semester following their internship.
- Experience in health communication, public health, health organizational effectiveness, or other health-related government initiatives.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Must be available for approximately 12 weeks between late May and August 2024 (start dates and end dates flexible based on academic calendars).
- Sustained excellence in academic performance.
- High level desire to help nation solve its most critical problems.
- 1-2 years of experience in health policy at the federal, state, or local level, or experience in the healthcare sector, including administrative, clinical, or information systems work.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Capability in another health domain area (e.g., communication, analytics, information technology).
- Proficiency with data analysis software (e.g., SAS, Tableau, Excel).
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams.
This job is available in 6 locations:
- McLean, Virginia
- Bedford, Massachusetts
- Windsor, Maryland
- Atlanta, Georgia
- San Antonio, Texas
- Tampa, Florida
To apply for this job please visit careers.mitre.org.